Great Waltham: Young lifesaver rewarded after 999 call saves her mother’s life
- Credit: Archant
A seven-year-old lifesaver has been commended for her bravery after her 999 call saved her mother’s life.
Young Chloe Mansfield took it upon herself to call an ambulance after her mum Helen told the seven-year-old she was feeling unwell at their home in Great Waltham, near Braintree.
Having asked Chloe whether she felt up to walking round the corner to school by herself, the youngster sensed something was wrong and called for an ambulance.
Chloe was able to tell East of England Ambulance Service Trust call handler Ali Latham her address and phone number while monitoring her mum’s condition, as 34-year-old Helen crouched on the stairs in terrible pain. Ms Latham, who was on the phone to Chloe for around 15 minutes, said: “She was incredibly calm and did exactly what I asked her to do.
“We do get young callers now and again, but I’m sure that most parents wouldn’t think of talking to their children about calling 999 at such a young age.” Chloe opened the front door and was trying to keep her mum awake when ambulance crew Richard Mandy and Mark Wabe arrived to help.
You may also want to watch:
Helen was taken to Broomfield Hospital, where it was discovered she had suffered a serious internal bleed and had lost more than six pints of blood. Helen now suffers bouts of memory loss and feels lucky to be alive.
She said: “Chloe did brilliantly and basically saved my life. I’m diabetic so I’ve always told the children that if they can’t wake me up in the morning they need to call 999 and be able to tell them what’s happened.” Ali, Richard and Mark surprised Chloe at her school assembly to award her with a certificate, and to speak to the children about calling 999 and performing basic first aid.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?