Grieving parents win hospital payout

THE heartbroken parents of a baby boy who died three days after he was born with severe disabilities have won an out-of-court settlement from hospital chiefs.

THE heartbroken parents of a baby boy who died three days after he was born with severe disabilities have won an out-of-court settlement from hospital chiefs.

Lawyers acting for the parents of Hayden Bozward claim medics at the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds failed to act quickly enough when the youngster's condition deteriorated inside his 27-year-old mother Amanda's womb.

It is thought the baby's brain was starved of oxygen as a result. He was born suffering kidney damage and significant brain injury, and the difficult decision was taken to switch his ventilator off the day after he was delivered.

He died in the early hours of the following morning, with his parents by his bedside.

You may also want to watch:

Now Mrs Bozward and her husband Alan, who live in Lakenheath and needed nearly five years of fertility treatment after struggling to conceive, have agreed an out-of-court settlement with the hospital in relation to Hayden's death.

It is the second time the West Suffolk Hospital has come under scrutiny after a newborn baby died following a lengthy delivery.

Most Read

Last month, an inquest was told Ruby Williams lost her fight for life when she was just hours old after suffering perinatal asphyxia - a lack of oxygen during birth.

Her heartbroken parents Keith and Michelle, from Hundon, were told by Greater Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean a difficult delivery could have contributed to her death.

Speaking yesterday on behalf of Mr and Mrs Bozward, Sharon Cutts, a clinical negligence specialist from Thetford-based lawyers Kester Cunningham John, described the past few months as “devastating”.

She said: “The death of a three-day-old child must be an unbearable heartbreak for any parent, but for the Bozwards, this tragedy is further exacerbated by Mrs Bozward having undergone four-and-a-half-years of fertility treatment to try to have a child.

“This has been completely and utterly devastating for them and it was a very, very stressful time.

“As soon as Hayden was born, the prognosis was pretty apparent that he had suffered a significant degree of hypoxia (a lack of oxygen to the brain) whilst in the womb.”

Miss Cutts claimed medical staff at the hospital had overlooked danger signs, with inadequate oxygen supplied to Hayden's brain after his delivery was delayed.

An inquest into the death, which happened last December, is due to take place today.

“The Bozwards have lost the child they tried so hard to conceive,” added Miss Cutts.

“However, the hospital has considered my clients' concerns and have agreed to an out-of-court settlement in respect of Hayden's death.

“Once the inquest is over, the couple can rebuild their lives and contemplate having more children.

“Hayden's parents naturally look forward to the inquest to help them understand the circumstances surrounding the death of their son.”

A spokesman for the hospital said: “It would be inappropriate to comment before the inquest.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus