Colchester Half Marathon takes to the streets
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of runners have put on their running shoes this morning to pound the streets for the Griffin Chapman Colchester Half Marathon.
The annual event, which is in its eighth year, started at 9am on Sunday March 24 and is set to raise thousands of pounds for MS-UK and Headway Essex.
The popular race began this morning at the home of Colchester United FC - The Jobserve Community Stadium - where friends and families gathered to warm up and take photos ahead of the 13-mile race.
Fou thousand people took part in the race in 2018 - an extra 250 participants compared to 2017’s line-up - with even higher numbers expected this year.
The race, which is organised by Colchester Colne Round Table, takes participants around the town.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Sutton, who was watching the race, said: “This was such a fantastic turnout for both the participants and spectators.
“What a great event for Colchester - well done to everyone involved in the organisation.”
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
People have already began sharing their photos in Colchester Community Group with many adding that the race had a “great atmosphere and turnout”.
Runners are expected to be returning to the stadium around 12.30pm this afternoon and a rolling road closure is in place throughout the race.
Are you taking part in the race? Send your photos and stories here to be featured in our gallery.