Gunman kills more than 20 people at Texas Baptist church
- Credit: AP
More than 20 people are reported to have been shot dead after a gunman opened fire at a Baptist church in Texas, police said.
Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt said the man walked into the church in Sutherland Springs and started shooting.
He told the Wilson County News there were “multiple” casualties and that the gunman had been “taken down”.
It was not immediately known how many people were killed and wounded or who carried out the attack.
Emergency services converged on the church in the small town south east of San Antonio and helicopters were taking victims to hospitals.
You may also want to watch:
Emergency services rushed to the church and local media showed helicopters airlifting victims to nearby hospitals.
Sutherland Springs is a community of about 400 people 30 miles south east of San Antonio.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 7 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post