Hadleigh: D-day is postponed for decision on Tesco superstore
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
Campaigners fighting plans for a new Tesco superstore in Hadleigh will have to wait until August before they find out if they have been successful.
The retail giant’s latest bid for permission to build on the former Brett Works site was due to be discussed by Babergh’s planning committee on July 4 at the town’s Guildhall. But council members have now been informed that the meeting has been cancelled.
Debate over the proposal is expected to be heated. Earlier this week, Tesco’s corporate affairs manager Simon Petar met members of Hadleigh Chamber of Commerce to discuss ways in which the company could support the town if the proposal gets the green light. Suggestions put forward included a website to promote the work of the town team, and signs directing pedestrians and traffic to the town centre,
Last night Mr Petar told the EADT that while chamber members were “bound to be sceptical” about the application, he believed the meeting had resulted in a “sensible discussion”. He said: “A number of exciting ideas to support the Hadleigh community were discussed with chamber members and we will be looking closely at those.”
Chamber president Tony Addison said the meeting had not been well attended because most local business owners “did not want to consider” the possibility of Tesco gaining planning permission. He said: “The purpose of the meeting was to look at what could be included in the 106 planning agreement.
“I think Tesco really believes that a new store would not do any damage to Hadleigh High Street, but I believe we have solid evidence to the contrary. We are disappointed the planning meeting date has been put back yet again but we are not surprised.”
A Babergh spokesman confirmed the meeting was unlikely to take place before August.