Halesworth: Multi millionaire Jon Hunt buys golf club
A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE who owns a large estate in the heart of the Suffolk countryside has completed a deal to buy a nearby golf club, it has emerged.
Jon Hunt, of Heveningham Hall, has bought Halesworth Golf Club in Bramfield Road.
Members were understood to have been told yesterday about the deal.
Mr Hunt founded London based estate agents Foxtons but sold the chain for �370 million just weeks before the credit crunch hit and the property market slumped.
The Sunday Times Rich List estimates his total wealth at �660 million.
You may also want to watch:
Last night his wife Lois said they were not planning any dramatic changes at Halesworth.
“It is not a commercial venture,” she said. “We just love the area and my husband really loves the landscape.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
“He is not planning to do too much to it. It’s just a change of ownership. Nothing dramatic is going to happen.
“It will be very much ‘business as usual’ as far as the members and visitors are concerned. There are no great plans. It’s just hoped that we will gradually improve the course over the years and turn it into a very nice place to play golf.”
Mr Hunt has previously hit the headlines with his aim of creating an underground leisure palace and gallery for his classic-car collection beneath his London home in Kensington Palace Gardens.
At Heveningham Hall he is understood to be planting no fewer than 800,000 trees to transform the estate and bring the landscape back to its original design.
He and his wife are keen to support the local community and every year hold a country fair at their Suffolk estate.
This year’s event - which for the first time will include a 10km run - is happening on July 10.
Halesworth Golf Course offers a wide range of facilities including an 18 hole, par 72 championship course measuring 6,512 yards.
There is also a nine hole pay and play course measuring 2,280 yards with a par of 33.
Other facilities include an undercover floodlit driving range, golf shop, a clubhouse lounge area with restaurant and bar along with a function suite and meeting rooms.