Happy birthday, dear (it looks like this is your present)
I went to Norwich to buy birthday presents for my husband. He’s lovely and puts up with me and so is deserving of nice things.
By lunch time I had bought myself some Guerlain make-up, a lovely pair of shoes and spent half-an-hour playing in the John Lewis odds-and-ends section. This is where the shop displays many interesting things you don’t need but are simply irresistible.
I rang a desk bell... very like the one on reception in Fawlty Towers:
Then there were about six hour-glass sand timers that needed to be turned over and checked for accuracy.
You may also want to watch:
“Are you okay, there?” asked a Lewis’s specially trained be-nice-to-mad-possibly-dangerous-middle-aged-women store assistant who had obviously been watching me for a bit.
“Yes, thank you,” I said in my best posh voice as another woman of about my age walked past and rang the reception bell.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
So, after three hours roaming the stores, backstreet emporia and markets; weary and footsore all I needed now was birthday presents for my husband.