Fire service receive more than 20 calls after large number of tyres ignite
- Credit: Archant
A large number of tyres are on fire near to Harwich International Port prompting more than 20 emergency calls to Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
Two crews are at the scene of the fire which started shortly after 2pm today.
A row of tyres measuring roughly 150m are reportedly ablaze in Una Road, Parkeston in the Essex town.
Firefighters are still tackling the blaze which has seen a large plume of smoke billowing into the sky.
A spokesperson from Essex fire said: “Firefighters have been called to fire involving a large number of tyres that have been left in an area of waste land.
You may also want to watch:
“Fire control received over 20 calls to the incident.
“Firefighters at the scene report that the row of tyres measure approximately 150m.”
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 8 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 9 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
According to the fire service, crews are making “good progress” and the blaze is nearly out.
The service advises that the incident is ongoing and more detail will emerge over the coming hours.