Harwich: Lifeboat stalwart receives MBE from Prince Charles
- Credit: Archant
A former Harwich harbour master, who describes himself as “just an Essex boy who ran off to sea at 16,” has spoken of the moment he received his MBE from Prince Charles.
Honorary operations manager of Harwich Lifeboats, Captain Rod Shaw, visited Buckingham Palace earlier this month after being named in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to maritime safety.
For Capt Shaw, who has been involved with Harwich Lifeboats for over 30 years, the occasion offered the opportunity to rekindle an acquaintance with the Prince - formed when he was asked to advise on the safety of the royal barge ahead of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee pageant that took place on the River Thames in 2012.
He said: “My involvement with the Jubilee ensured I was known to royal officials.
“At the awards ceremony Prince Charles asked me how my role as safety advisor had gone. I replied: ‘Well, you’re still here aren’t you?,’ which made him laugh.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “It was a wonderful day and I had all my family with me.”
receiving his MBE at Buckingham Palace just before Xmas. Rod received the award in recognition of his long career in the Marine Industry and for services to Maritime Safety. He has been involved with the Harwich Lifeboats for over 30 years and Price Charles commented at the presentation on his assistance to the Royal family at last year’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge