Huge boost in flu vaccine uptake amid Covid-19 pandemic
- Credit: Getty Images/Istockphoto
Suffolk has seen a huge increase in uptake of the flu vaccine, with more people taking the jab amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
A rise in those receiving the vaccine has been seen across the board in the county as GPs, pharmacists and Public Health Suffolk pushed for patients to receive the important jab.
In West Suffolk, there was a rise of 18% in those 65 and over getting the flu jab up until the end of November.
Meanwhile, in Ipswich and East Suffolk, there was a rise of 12% in the same category, with 82.3% of those 65 and above registered at a GP having the vaccine.
The national target for influenza vaccine uptake is 75%.
You may also want to watch:
The jab is seen as more important than ever this year, with the coronavirus pandemic putting NHS services under more pressure.
A spokesperson for Suffolk Local Pharmaceutical Committee, Public Health Suffolk and NHS Ipswich and East Suffolk and NHS West Suffolk clinical commissioning groups, said: “It’s incredibly good news that we’re seeing an increase in flu vaccination uptake this year.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 7 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 8 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“Never has there been a more important time to have your flu vaccination.
"This will help safeguard your own health and to reduce the number of hospital admissions while the NHS continues to deal with the serious impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Health and care colleagues including GPs, pharmacies and Suffolk County Council Public Health have worked together to raise awareness of the importance of the vaccination, and community pharmacies are supporting their GP colleagues to continue flu vaccinations as they begin the Covid-19 vaccination roll out.
“If your GP practice invites you to have a flu vaccination, please take up the offer. You can also find the pharmacy nearest to you offering flu vaccination here."
In Ipswich and East Suffolk, every practice for whom November data is available posted an increase in uptake and all bar one practice has already met the 75% target for this cohort.
The CCG said it is an "excellent performance from local practices".
Those in Hadleigh saw the highest uptake of the vaccine, with 89.4% of all people 65 and above registered at the local GP surgery receiving the jab.