Health and Safety Executive working on Corrie McKeague investigation as 900 tonnes of landfill searched so far
- Credit: Gregg Brown
As a search continues at a landfill site in Milton in Cambridgeshire, police are confirming that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will be working alongside officers investigating Corrie McKeague’s disappearance.
A team of specialist trained search officers from Suffolk and Norfolk Constabularies are continuing work at the site and have now been through more than 845 tonnes of material in the search.
Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott said; “Officers have been liaising with the HSE as part of the investigation into the circumstances around what happened to Corrie.
“At this stage our search at Milton continues. If there is a find on the site then the HSE will have a role to play in looking into the procedures that were in place and we have been speaking with them to ensure they are aware of our investigation to date.
“Officers have completed thousands of hours of enquiries to find Corrie and through the work that has been completed over the past few months we have gathered a substantial amount of information which will inform both our own and any potential HSE investigation as we move forward.”
A spokesman for HSE said they are helping police using their specialist knowledge of the waste system. They said: “Using specialist knowledge on the safety aspects of waste collection, HSE is assisting Suffolk Police with its ongoing enquiries into missing airman Corrie McKeague.”
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 10 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message