Volunteers hailed after surgery rolls out nearly 1,000 Covid jabs in a day
- Credit: Contributed
A GP has paid tribute to a "committed" team of volunteers and staff after nearly 1,000 people received the coronavirus vaccine in one day at a Samxundham doctors' surgery.
Saxmundham Health, in Lambsale Meadow, has now administered nearly 6,000 jabs since it opened as a vaccination centre.
Senior partner Dr John Havard said 922 doses were rolled out on Sunday - including five police officers at the end of the day.
Dr Havard said the success of the rollout was due to help from volunteers in the town, as well as the surgery's staff.
He said: "It was a real joy to be able to protect so many patients from this disease and it was a heartwarming exercise to see how all our staff pulled together to make it happen.
You may also want to watch:
"We were also so lucky to have a team of committed volunteers.
"I think just shows how resourceful general practice teams and volunteer groups are.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
"When the chips are down, then primary care can step up to the plate and play a huge part in protecting the nation."