'I'm delighted' - Students create accessible garden for 'lovely couple'
- Credit: Suffolk Rural
A group of students have created an accessible garden area for a 64-year-old man in Felixstowe.
The students are studying horticulture at Suffolk Rural, formerly Otley College, and have completed a DIY SOS style project for couple Adrian Waterhouse-Taylor and his wife Louise.
64-year-old Adrian, lost his foot four years ago and recently spent four months in hospital before being diagnosed with an abscess in his spine.
The project was led by students Zibby Parker and Nicky O'Brien, who also both live in the seaside town.
Zibby and Adrian have known each other for 25 years, and, when she wanted to do something for one of her friends, all the class agreed to help.
Adrian said: "Zibby, her colleague Nicky and the class have spent lots of time taking photos, designing the garden and making it accessible.
"I want to live a normal life, I want to go to the pub every Friday and that's how I feel. As part of that, I want the garden to have a similar feel to the rest of the house that allows me to carry on as before, as much as possible."
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 6 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 7 Excitement builds as Suffolk Show venue wakes up
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 10 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
The project was funded by Adrian, but all the labouring, creativity and designed was done by the students at the college.
"When it is completed we will have a knockout garden in our forever home. I am really looking forward to it. I've got an image in my head. I don't think I will cry at the end for the big reveal, but my wife might."
51-year-old Zibby has been friends with Adrian's wife Louise since they were five years old.
She said: "Adrian has been through an awful lot in the last couple of years. I went to college and explained his situation and everyone on the course bought into it."
Zibby's co-designer Nicky, said: "We will be creating a lawn, a gravel and winter garden, a vegetable bed and an herbaceous border. It's a great project and everyone is really thrilled to be involved.
"Adrian and his wife are a lovely couple, so it is nice to be able to support them."
Upon completion, Adrian said: "I’m delighted with the garden, and my wife and I are incredibly grateful to the Suffolk Rural team for their amazing efforts.”