Heartbroken mother’s ‘choking game’ plea after death of teen
THE mother of a teenager who hanged himself with a tie in his bedroom believes he fell victim to the dangerous “choking game,” an inquest has heard.
Tyler Mison was discovered hanging from his cabin bed at the family home in Lower Harlings, Shotley, by his stepfather Ben Mison on September 6 last year.
Determined to prevent another tragedy tearing apart another family Jo Mison is today calling for more to be done to raise awareness of the lethal “game” also known as the fainting game – calling on internet sites to remove anything encouraging youngsters to experiment with strangulation.
At the inquest into the 13-year-old Holbrook High School student’s death at Ip-City yesterday, Greater Suffolk Coroner Peter Dean recorded an open verdict.
Police could find no reason why the teenager would have hanged himself and after examining his mobile phone and family laptop they found no evidence linked with searches for the choking game.
You may also want to watch:
But Dr Dean said he believed Tyler, who he described as a “normal happy lad”, did not intend the outcome of his actions.
He said it remained a “possibility” he may have been taking part in some “high-risk, dangerous experimentation”.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 7 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 8 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 9 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 10 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
Desperate for answers Mrs Mison said she researched how her son could have accidentally hanged himself on the internet. “There is no doubt in my mind,” the mum-of-five said. “I knew Tyler would never, ever take his own life intentionally. I knew there had to be a reason for him to do what he did.”
The inquest heard Mrs Mison discovered information about the choking game – which youngsters play to achieve an expected ‘high’. She said she is convinced Tyler, who she described as “an amazing kid”, died as a result of the dangerous game.
Researching the symptoms, which include blood shot eyes, headaches and marks on the neck, Mrs Mison said she believes her son did show the signs in the month before he passed away.
“I am 100% sure that is what he was doing,” Mrs Mison said. “People don’t know about it, I didn’t. Parents need to be informed so they know the signs.
“I would say 90% of the signs were there with Ty, I didn’t think anything at the time. It is just like doing drugs. It gives kids a ‘high’.
“We believe he wanted to know what everyone else was talking about, he was a wonderful child who always questioned why.”