Heavy downpours clearing after deluge overnight
HEAVY rain battered Suffolk overnight but forecasters said this morning the worst is over.
In the last two hours the Met Office has lifted its severe weather warning for Suffolk and weather expert Joe Osborne at Weatherquest said the heaviest of the downpours are clearing away over the North Sea.
Parts of eastern Suffolk will be seeing the last of the heavy rain this morning as the final bursts of torrential rain clears off over the coast.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said he was not aware of any major problems with flooding.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said they had been expecting problems due to the weather overnight but this morning had yet to see any accidents on the county’s roads as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Osborne said the unsettled weather is set to continue today with scattered showers and high winds building up as the heavy rain clears.
He said we can expect some “breezy conditions” with gusts reaching around 30mph in places.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Temperatures are set to remain warm at around 20C.
Ipswich Borough Council (IBC) said Northgate Sports Centre had been closed this morning because of flooding.
A spokesman for IBC said staff are currently investigating and it is hoped the facility will be open by this afternoon.
Were you affected by the severe weather overnight? Call the Newsdesk on 01473 324788.