Helicopter rescues missing man

A MAN who went missing from a Suffolk care home on Fridayevening was found injured in open farmland, police have today confirmed.

A MAN who went missing from a Suffolk care home on Friday evening was found injured in open farmland, police have today confirmed.

Suffolk's police helicopter was deployed to help search for the missing 48-year-old after officers received an emergency call from Brettvale care home at Granary Barn, Lower Raydon near Hadleigh at about 7.18pm.

Staff told police one of their residents had gone missing and they considered him to be “extremely vulnerable.”

The man, who was described as having medical problems and learning difficulties, was located by the helicopter crew using thermal imaging equipment, near to Dewlands Farm, near Raydon in open countryside at about 9.30pm.

They talked police officers on the ground to the location of the person and on arrival they found the man was injured, complaining of having heard his ankle crack.

Unable to walk the man back to safety, the helicopter was mobilised to land and airlift the man to the old airfield near Woodlands Road, Raydon where ambulance crews were on standby to assist the patient.

Most Read

Julian Bosley, acting sergeant of the air support unit, said the incident had highlighted the vital work the police helicopter carries out on a regular basis.

“It is not untypical for the helicopter to rescue people in this way we have had similar results in the past,” he said. “It is fantastic when a job ends well like this. You never know what the outcome would have been without air support, if we would have found the person without the helicopters assistance.

“It is a great feeling to have such a positive result.”

Inspector Jim Gooding said staff at the care home had expressed concerns about the safety of the man if he was out on his own.

He said members of staff had initially searched the surrounding areas with local police units before air support was deployed.

“It is not a daily occurrence,” he said. “It is a terrific result, a job well done, using that piece of equipment.”

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance service confirmed crews transported the male patient to Ipswich Hospital for further assessment and treatment to his ankle injury.

Representatives at the care home said they did not want to provide a comment.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter