Search

High Court rejects traveller ban on Clacton seafront during airshow on August 25-26

PUBLISHED: 19:00 09 August 2016 | UPDATED: 09:12 10 August 2016

Large crowds at last year's Clacton Airshow. Low cloud has delayed the event this year

Large crowds at last year's Clacton Airshow. Low cloud has delayed the event this year

A High Court judge has rejected a banning order proposed by Tendring District Council to prevent anti-social parking during the Clacton Airshow.

Organisers are looking to appeal against a the ruling preventing them from banning camper vans from parking on the seafront during the two-day event.

Tendring District Council had applied to the court for an injunction – something it has done each year since 2013 after travellers pitched up in 2012 and caused “a number of issues” in the run up to the event.

It is understood the council also argued the banning order was necessary on national security grounds, in the wake of attacks such as in Nice on Bastille Day when a truck was driven into crowds.

But Mr Justice Knowles rejected the argument, and said the council had a duty to accommodate travellers’ way of life.

This injunction would impact on them more than others, he added, and said other measures were available to act as a similar deterrent.

Paul Honeywood, Tendring district councillor for housing, said the authority is very disappointed with the decision.

He said: “It was not the outcome we were hoping for – or expecting – and we are now speaking with our legal team about the possibility of appealing against the judge’s decision.

“However, we also have alternative plans in the pipeline that we will employ to deal with the situation should it become necessary to do so.”

The airshow celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, with additional evening flights and entertainment lined up to celebrate the occasion.

It attracts an estimated 220,000 people to the town over the two days, and contributes £5million to the local economy.

“It is extremely important to many businesses in Clacton and Tendring that the airshow goes ahead smoothly and without disruption,” Mr Honeywood added.

Organisers also revealed yesterday two additional flights for this year’s event on August 25-26, with the B-25 Mitchell bomber and the Vampire Pair both taking part in the display.

Other flights include the Red Arrows and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times