Looking back at the history of the Hadleigh Show in it’s 179th year
- Credit: Archant
The 179th Hadleigh Show takes place today at Holbecks Park.
The Hadleigh show is organised by the Hadleigh Farmers Agricultural Association and is an event that brings the whole town together and attracts visitors from all around.
Hadleigh Farmers Club was established in December 1839 “to promote the cause of agriculture by the discussion of subjects, and disseminating of information relative to its practice”.
Only a year before, the Royal Agricultural Society was established to try and rescue British farming from the agricultural depression bedevilling the early decades of the 19th Century.
Its formation must be seen against the background of agricultural development of the time.
You may also want to watch:
The Hadleigh Farmers Club held shows and gave prizes to encourage and promote good farming.
Have you attend many Hadleigh Show in it’s history or can you spot yourself or do you recognise anyone pictured in this gallery?
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 10 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside