Hollesley: Fresh hope for missing Luke Durbin five years after his disappearance

A MOTHER still searching for answers five years after her son mysteriously disappeared is trying to stay “extremely grounded” after detectives said they were on the verge of a possible breakthrough.

However, police also admitted for the first time that they can not rule out the possibility that 19-year-old Luke Durbin may have been killed.

It will be five years tomorrow since Mr Durbin, of Coronation Avenue, Hollesley, near Woodbridge, went missing following a night out with friends in Ipswich.

Despite extensive enquiries his disappearance still remains a mystery and his family are desperate for answers.

His mother Nicki last night pleaded with anyone with any information about what happened that night to get in touch. She said she was pleased with how the police inquiry was continuing but was trying to remain grounded following new evidence.

You may also want to watch:

Detective Chief Inspector John Brocklebank, from Norfolk and Suffolk’s joint major investigation team, said an alleged sighting in Woodbridge of Mr Durbin in a Renault Megane has now taken on greater significance following a review of the case and interviews with original witnesses. One stated they saw him in the car being driven by a black man a day after he disappeared.

Det Ch Insp Brocklebank said: “I’m looking for a very specific degree of help, especially from people who live, or who have lived, in Woodbridge. We have information relating to a sighting of Luke between 11am to 2pm on Saturday, May 13, 2006, in Woodbridge. This was a dark-blue Renault Megane seen near the Turban Centre.

Most Read

“This changes the focus of our investigation quite considerably.

“Our appeal is for anyone who saw Luke on Friday 12 or Saturday 13 May, 2006 and especially those who saw him in Woodbridge on the Saturday.”

He also confirmed that although the investigation remained a missing person inquiry, they were looking at all possibilities, which includes Luke being unlawfully killed.

Last night Ms Durbin said: “I am trying to stay incredibly grounded at the moment.

“We still don’t know if it was Luke in the car. The man in that car hasn’t been identified either.

“I would beg people to think back and if there is anything they can remember - no matter how small they think it is - then please, please, please get in touch with police. Let them make the decision as to whether the information is relevant.

“The last five years have been a nightmare for me and my family. We just need answers to what has happened. Whatever those answers are it has to be better than this constant not knowing.”

The last confirmed sighting of Mr Durbin was in Dog’s Head Street, near the Cattle Market bus station, Ipswich, at 4am on May 12.

Anyone who can help should call police 01473 782059 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus