Honington: Airman dies in accident en-route home from Afghanistan
AN AIRMAN based in Suffolk has died while returning home from serving in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has today confirmed.
The homecoming of 1 Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment was marred by the tragedy as its members returned to RAF Honington on Sunday following the death of the airman in Cyprus.
Having survived the tour of duty in the war zone the airman died on Sunday after sustaining injuries in the accident at the Cyprus Sovereign Base on Friday.
His name had last night not been released by the Ministry of Defence, but his next of kin had been informed.
Wing Commander James Hill, a spokesman for the British Military in Afghanistan, said it was “with great sorrow” that he had to report the death.
You may also want to watch:
The airman was in Cyprus en route back from operational service in Afghanistan when he was involved in the fatal accident, said Wg Cdr Hill.
“Despite the best efforts of the medical services at the scene, and afterwards, the airman did not recover from injuries sustained in the accident.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
“It is particularly tragic that he died while returning home from a tour of duty that was dedicated to protecting his comrades and Afghan civilians while part of the Force Protection Wing at Camp Bastion. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.”
“He will be sorely missed,” he added.