Honington, near Bury St Edmunds, to welcome back post office branch
A west Suffolk community will welcome back its post office at the same premises next month following a two-year closure.
Honington Camp Post Office, at RAF Honington, near Bury St Edmunds, will reopen on Friday, February 2, with significantly extended business hours.
The post office at the base closed in January 2016, much to the disappointment of locals, but the “vibrant new-style” branch will provide services at the heart of the community seven-days-a-week.
The Post Office says services will be delivered from an open plan till alongside the retail counter of the convenience store throughout the shop’s opening hours.
Lynn Plampin, of Honington cum Sapiston Parish Council, said: “It’s very welcome back in the community. We were very disappointed when we lost the provision and so many of them seem to be closing.
You may also want to watch:
“People were having to go to Ingham or Ixworth and so to have one back will really add to the community.”
Jo Churchill, MP for Bury St Edmunds, said: “It is very positive that, after two years, Honington Camp Post Office will reopen with a range of services and a Sunday opening. This is very good news for local residents.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 7 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 8 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 9 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
The Post Office says the re-opening is part of a major modernisation programme across its network designed to make it easier for customers to do business, through longer opening hours and modern open plan environments.
Michael Brennan, Post Office area manager, said: “I know that the local community will join me in welcoming this good news about the reopening of this branch I hope that customers will continue to use the branch.
“We are making it easier for customers to get their cash, send and collect their mail and do their banking because we know how important these services are to local residents.
“We are confident that this vibrant new-style post office at the heart of the local community will meet customer needs.
“This modernisation is part of a major investment programme, the largest in the history of the Post Office and will secure services for the future.”
Honington Camp Post Office will be open Monday to Friday from 7am – 9pm, Saturday from 9am – 9pm, and Sunday from 10am – 5pm.