Hopes grow for Wickham Market car park plans
- Credit: Archant
Hopes are growing that changes to car parking in a Suffolk village may be introduced to support businesses.
The Wickham Market Town Team has been in further discussions with Suffolk Coastal District Council (SCDC) over the introduction of an hour of free parking at its three sites in the village. Further calls for discounted season tickets for staff working locally have also been discussed.
The proposals, which are a key part of the Town Team’s plans to rejuvenate the village, had been rejected in SCDC’s parking review in December for financial reasons.
The news was met with disappointment from the Town Team and councillors in the village, who hoped the parking changes would have supported businesses. However, the district council’s decision to include the proposals in a new public consultation has been welcomed as another opportunity to get the changes carried through.
Town Team chairman Colin Owens praised the council’s approach. “SCDC has been very open-minded in looking at our proposals and receptive to the community’s view – they’ve been very helpful,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Andrew Nunn, who is responsible for SCDC’s car parks, said no decision had yet been made on car parking in Wickham Market but the proposals had been included in the consultation.
“We welcome the positive contribution Wickham Market has made to this process and will continue to work with them to find a solution which meets local needs,” he added.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
To respond to the consultation visit SCDC’s website or its offices in Melton Hill, Woodbridge, during office hours. Responses must be made by January 23.