Hopes growing for teenager
HOPES are growing that a teenager overcome by fumes during a gas leak, which killed his older brother, is winning his fight for life.Kevin Massey has been in intensive care at the James Paget Hospital since Sunday when he and his brother Kelvin were overcome by fumes from a gas fire at their home behind the Bush Inn, Shimpling.
HOPES are growing that a teenager overcome by fumes during a gas leak, which killed his older brother, is winning his fight for life.
Kevin Massey has been in intensive care at the James Paget Hospital since Sunday when he and his brother Kelvin were overcome by fumes from a gas fire at their home behind the Bush Inn, Shimpling.
Tragically Kelvin, who would have been 21 yesterday, died at the scene but Kevin has been battling for his life ever since.
Although the teenager is still in an intensive care unit he has made considerable progress in the past two days which has given his family hope that he may pull through.
You may also want to watch:
Last night, family friend and Baptist minister David Steere, spoke on behalf of the boys parents Jo and Sue Massey, who have been running the Bush Inn for several years.
He said: "I can tell you that Kevin's condition has improved and it is an answer to all our prayers.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
"The improvement has been sufficient enough to give his family some encouragement.
"Kevin is still in intensive care, but his condition is now stable and at the moment it looks like he is winning his fight for life.
"At this stage we do not have any idea when he might be leaving hospital, but we are all praying that he continues to make progress.
"The family have expressed a wish to thank all their friends and family for all the support they have had, but they have also asked for the privacy to grieve for Kelvin and to give support to Kevin at this time."
The tragic events which happened on Sunday rocked the small but close-knit community of Shimpling, near Sudbury.
The brothers were in their room when fumes from a gas fire overcame them. Both boys were discovered unconscious and Kelvin was named dead at the scene. Kevin was initially taken to the West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds, but then transferred to the James Paget Hospital, Gorleston, for treatment in a decompression chamber.
Both brothers were well known and popular in Shimpling due to their parents running the village pub.
The pub has now re-opened for business as usual, although Jo and Sue Massey are spending most of their time at Kevin's bedside.
A spokesman from the James Paget Hospital described Kevin's condition as "stable" last night.