Hopes high that Woods Lane in Melton could re-open to traffic next week
Suffolk County Council remain positive that Woods Lane in Melton will re-open to the public next week.
In a statement released today Jane Storey from Suffolk County Council said: “Our inspector has been on site, twice a day since Woods Lane closed, working with Bloor Homes and their contractors to keep the pace of the work up.
“I’m pleased that the work has progressed much quicker than originally anticipated.
“Subject to final snagging being rectified and the weather being dry enough for the road markings to be repainted, I’m confident that Woods Lane will reopen next week.”
The road originally closed for a month last November and then shut again in early January.
You may also want to watch:
It was originally planned that the road would be closed until April 13 but in mid -February the developers, Bloor Homes, said that they were “extremely optimistic” about the closure finishing a month before schedule.
Work has continued on the site throughout the recent poor weather with workmen only not attending the site on Thursday due to the snow.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 How it all unfolded as Town come back to grab a point against Owls
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
On other days last week work did continue with snow also being cleared from footpaths for pedestrians.
This week the road has been pressure washed and swept with upgrades also being made to the street lighting.
Defects on the road are due to be remedied tomorrow with any final defects being rectified early next week as long as the weather allows.
Yesterday a spokesperson for developers Bloor Homes said: “Bloor Homes is extremely optimistic, subject to normal caveats for this nature of work, that the end date for the closure of Woods Lane Melton will be finished significantly earlier than anticipated.
“However the work is not yet complete.
“Before Woods Lane completely reopens, it must pass a full inspection from Suffolk County Council.”
Local business owners had previously outlined their concerns that the road closure had caused a drop in footfall and had badly impacted on their ability to trade in and around Melton and Woodbridge.
Residents had also raised concerns about the closures impact on journey times and road traffic safety locally.