Hopes high that Woods Lane in Melton could re-open to traffic next week

The Woods Lane closure which has caused disruption in Woodbridge and Melton. Picture: GREGG BROWN

The Woods Lane closure which has caused disruption in Woodbridge and Melton. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Suffolk County Council remain positive that Woods Lane in Melton will re-open to the public next week.

In a statement released today Jane Storey from Suffolk County Council said: “Our inspector has been on site, twice a day since Woods Lane closed, working with Bloor Homes and their contractors to keep the pace of the work up.

“I’m pleased that the work has progressed much quicker than originally anticipated.

“Subject to final snagging being rectified and the weather being dry enough for the road markings to be repainted, I’m confident that Woods Lane will reopen next week.”

The road originally closed for a month last November and then shut again in early January.


You may also want to watch:


It was originally planned that the road would be closed until April 13 but in mid -February the developers, Bloor Homes, said that they were “extremely optimistic” about the closure finishing a month before schedule.

Work has continued on the site throughout the recent poor weather with workmen only not attending the site on Thursday due to the snow.

Most Read

On other days last week work did continue with snow also being cleared from footpaths for pedestrians.

This week the road has been pressure washed and swept with upgrades also being made to the street lighting.

Defects on the road are due to be remedied tomorrow with any final defects being rectified early next week as long as the weather allows.

Yesterday a spokesperson for developers Bloor Homes said: “Bloor Homes is extremely optimistic, subject to normal caveats for this nature of work, that the end date for the closure of Woods Lane Melton will be finished significantly earlier than anticipated.

“However the work is not yet complete.

“Before Woods Lane completely reopens, it must pass a full inspection from Suffolk County Council.”

Local business owners had previously outlined their concerns that the road closure had caused a drop in footfall and had badly impacted on their ability to trade in and around Melton and Woodbridge.

Residents had also raised concerns about the closures impact on journey times and road traffic safety locally.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter