Horse dies in stable blaze
By Juliette MaxamTWO men were injured as they battled in vain to save a horse from a burning stable.A foal was killed after fire swept through a stable at Bushmoor Kennels and Cattery, Goat Hall Lane, Galleywood.
By Juliette Maxam
TWO men were injured as they battled in vain to save a horse from a burning stable.
A foal was killed after fire swept through a stable at Bushmoor Kennels and Cattery, Goat Hall Lane, Galleywood. The flames also spread to a cattery.
Staff managed to rescue a cat and kittens in the cattery, but were unsuccessful in their attempt to lead the horse, called Catkin, to safety.
You may also want to watch:
Two men, both aged in their 50s, were taken by ambulance to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation after the fire, which started just before 3pm on Wednesday. One suffered burns to his face and arm, the other had superficial burns to his arm.
It took fire crews from Chelmsford, Baddow and Ingatestone three hours to bring the blaze under control.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
Station Officer Alan Cutter, from Chelmsford fire station, said: "There was low water pressure so it took a long while to extinguish it.
"We knocked the flames down with water on the appliances and we just couldn't get enough water, so we shuttled it in."
The stable was completely destroyed in the blaze and about 75% of the cattery was also damaged.
Mr Cutter said the fire was believed to have been caused by an incinerator that was next to the stable.
A spokeswoman for Bushmoor Kennels and Cattery said: "The staff and fire brigade were absolutely fantastic in dealing with it all.
"We are obviously gutted about the loss of our horse. We are all in it for the love of animals and that was the worse thing. If it was just buildings it would be different."
She added many loyal customers had been ringing up to give their support.