Hotel porter attack by robbers
A HOTEL porter needed hospital treatment for head injuries when two robbers attacked him after posing as guests.The raid took place at the Red Lion Hotel in Colchester and the robbers made off with around £350 and headed off along the High Street.
A HOTEL porter needed hospital treatment for head injuries when two robbers attacked him after posing as guests.
The raid took place at the Red Lion Hotel in Colchester and the robbers made off with around £350 and headed off along the High Street.
The pair struck in the early hours of Wednesday morning as the porter, the only member of staff on duty, let them inside.
The attack took place at about 3.30am when the worker was struck from behind with a glass object as he prepared drinks for the robbers, who convinced him they were guests.
You may also want to watch:
The attackers then raided the tills before fleeing the scene.
Pauline Ash, the hotel's assistant manager, said the porter, a 27-year-old Polish man, was left shaken and taken aback but would be returning to work soon.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
She added: “He's absolutely fine. He's got a bit of a bruise really and is obviously a bit shocked. He's due to come back soon.
“Everybody's quite happy it was a pretty random attack, we're all a little more security conscious now though.”
She said that in her eight years at the company she had never experienced anything like it and guests turning up out of hours will now be subjected to more security checks by the night porter.
The injured man was taken to Colchester General Hospital for treatment while police are now looking at CCTV as they hunt the robbers.
The pair are described as being in their mid-twenties and wearing shirts and jeans.
The Red Lion is a Tudor hotel built in the 15th century, and at the time of robbery each of its 24 rooms was in use.
Police confirmed that Colchester CID are appealing for information about the raid as part of an ongoing investigation.
Anyone with details can contact them on 01206 762212.