Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 6°C

Search

House fire in Chelmsford caused by petrol being used to ignite log fire

PUBLISHED: 19:19 16 September 2017

Firefighters tackled the flames. File picture: PHIL MORLEY

Firefighters tackled the flames. File picture: PHIL MORLEY

Archant

Firefighters were called to a house fire in Chelmsford this afternoon where petrol was used to ignite a log fire.

Essex Fire and Rescue was called at 6.40pm to reports that a home in London Road, Chelmsford, was alight.

Two crews from Chelmsford attended to find the entire house filled with smoke and a small fire burning in the living room.

The flames were put out shortly after 5pm.

Stuart Hay, watch manager at Chelmsford Fire Station, said: “It appears that this fire was caused accidentally by the occupant of this property, after petrol was used to try to ignite a log fire.

“When the fire ignited, the petrol can also caught light, along with a nearby children’s car toy.

“Because the toy was made of plastic, the flames created a large amount of smoke very quickly.

“Fortunately, the homeowner reacted well and used cold water to control the fire, and stop it spreading any further.

“Our crews then worked efficiently to extinguish the remaining flames soon after arriving at the scene.”

One person was taken to Broomfield Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The property has suffered smoke damage throughout.

Firefighters recorded the cause of the flames as accidental.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists