Crews battle house blaze in Colchester – caused by candle
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Firefighters battled a house fire in Colchester after a candle fell over and set light to a bed.
Two fire crews from Colchester were called to the scene in Hamlet Drive at around 6.40pm last night, Thursday, November 29.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the fire but the bedroom where the fire began was destroyed.
He added the top floor of the house had also suffered smoke damage.
Watch commander Richard Lark from Colchester Fire Station, said: “Candles had been left in a window sil and the window was open.
You may also want to watch:
“A gust of wind blew over the candles onto the bed which then quickly caught alight.
“Incidents like this show how important it is to use candles safely.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
“It is very important that they are placed somewhere they can not fall or be knocked over.”
Following the incident, Mr Lark issued the following safety advice in regards to candles:
•Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire - like curtains.
•Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
•Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
•Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
•Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
•Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
•Don’t move candles once they are lit.
•Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.
•Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.