House fire victim is named
AN ELDERLY man who died after a house fire in Essex was named by police yesterday .Gordon Lee, 85, was found in the dining room of his home in Sharpington Close, Chelmsford, on Thursday afternoon.
AN ELDERLY man who died after a house fire in Essex was named by police yesterday .
Gordon Lee, 85, was found in the dining room of his home in Sharpington Close, Chelmsford, on Thursday afternoon.
He was alone in the house at the time of the blaze. His wife returned home and was confronted by a wall of smoke when she opened the front door.
She and a neighbour went into the house and pulled Mr Lee out into the front garden.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters tried to revive him until paramedics arrived, but he could not be saved.
Fire investigation officers believe the fire started in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking. Smoke spread throughout the house because all the doors were open.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 8 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 9 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 10 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
A post mortem examination will be conducted next week.