House left unlivable after vivarium fire in Boydin Close, Witham
- Credit: Archant
A family have been left homeless after their house in Essex was destroyed by smoke and fire.
A neighbour called 999 after seeing flames take hold of the property in Boydin Close, Witham, just after 11am today.
The fire started in a vivarium, which is a container used to keep animals, such as reptiles, in conditions similar to their natural environment.
No one was inside the house when firefighters arrived, which is reportedly home to a mother and her four children.
Paul Scott, 71, who rang the fire brigade, said: “I woke up and heard an alarm going off [elsewhere] and found smoke in my house. There wasn’t a lot but it was in the air.”
Failing to find the cause, Mr Scott went out for the morning, but on his return around 10.30am could still smell smoke and decided to ring the emergency services.
“I came back and my alarm was going off. The fireman and I looked round and couldn’t find anything, so the fireman went next door,” he added, where smoke was coming out through his neighbour’s roof tiles.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 7 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
- 10 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
The property is apparently rented and the landlord is due to start repairing the house soon.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Fire crews were called to a house fire this morning after being alerted by a neighbour.
“On arrival, firefighters found no one was inside the property and a pet vivarium was alight. They were able to extinguish the fire by 12.03pm, having contained it to the living room.
“Firefighters then used a Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) fan to clear the house of smoke, which has been completely smoke damaged and left uninhabitable.”
Two fire crews, one from Witham and one from Great Baddow, attended.