'Words can’t express it’: Shotley man whose dog caused house fire thanks community
- Credit: Archant
A Shotley man says he is “overwhelmed” after his community rallied around him when a fire tore through his home.
Mr Miley, 42, said he believes that one of his puppies must have jumped onto his cooker to retrieve some food, knocking one of the knobs and starting the fire.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt, and Mr Miley’s two dogs were unharmed.
However, his home was left needing extensive repairs, including a new roof and kitchen.
To make matters worse, some confusion between Mr Miley and his ex-wife meant that neither of them had been paying house insurance.
However, his reputation as someone who does what he can to help his community meant that they came together to repay his kindness.
“When it first happened, with no house insurance, I thought, oh my god, what am I going to do?” Mr Miley said.
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 4 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 7 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 8 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 9 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 10 Queen's Platinum Jubilee Flypast to pass over Suffolk
“When this kind of things happens, you think you’re on your own. I’m quite a proud man, I don’t like to ask for help.
“But sometimes in these situations, you just need to.”
His good friend, Nikita Bones, set up a fundraiser for him, which has reached over £1,800. He has also been inundated with offers of help and support.
“People I don’t even know have been bringing food round, it’s very kind,” said Mr Miley.
“With what’s going on in the world, and people struggling with bills, I just think how kind they are to give me some money and bits and pieces.
Mr Miley says renovations are underway, but this will be a long process, with his kitchen not yet able to be replaced.
“All the roof has been paid for now, so that’s a big weight off my mind.
“I’ve got all the trusses to go up, and a very good friend of mine is going to give me a hand.”
“The fire didn’t go right through the house, which I'm very grateful to the fire brigade for.
“Everyone has clubbed together. Words can’t express it, really.”