WATCH: Dramatic footage of huge field fire near Manningtree
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters tackled an enormous field fire on Steam Mill Road, between Manningtree and Bradfield Heath.
Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after 2pm today, where approximately 100 square metres of land was found to be alight.
Four engines were used to fight the blaze, including two from Colchester, one from Clacton and one from Dovercourt.
One passer-by, Holly Harrison-Watson, said she saw smoke while on the way to Bradfield with her daughter, Isla. She drove past the fire on Steam Mill Road just as the fire brigade was closing off the road.
“It was a fairly big fire,” she said. “They closed off the road as it had spread very close to the road as there was a lot of wind.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Harrison-Watson added that she was worried by the proximity of the blaze, but felt the emergency services soon had the situation under control.
She said: “I was really worried but our fantastic fire service responded very quickly and the farmer I believe ploughed the field to help stop the fire from spreading.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
“My daughter Isla was pleased to see it was put out very quickly and said ‘great fire fighters mummy’.”
A spokesperson for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters were called to a large field fire this afternoon.
“Crews reported on arrival that around 100 square metres of crops were on fire.
“Crews worked hard to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading further, before using beaters to fully extinguish remaining hotspots within the field.
“The fire was extinguished completely by 2.57pm.”