Huge stack fire in Withersfield, near Haverhill, burned all night - and may have been started deliberately
- Credit: citizenside.com
A huge stack fire has been burning all night in west Suffolk - and is reported to require monitoring for days to come.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said it had received “multiple calls” from residents reporting a large fire in Withersfield, near Haverhill, last night. Inquires are being held as to whether the fire was started deliberately.
Crews from Clare, Wickhambrook and Haverhill attended the fire, which started at 6.20pm yesterday and was still burning this morning.
A fire service spokesman said it was a large stack fire. It is thought to involve 400-500 bales of straw.
Relief crews were at the scene this morning damping down the fire, SFRS said.
“Multiple calls from Haverhill residents stating they can see a large fire,” a spokesman added.
“Incident is ongoing and will be monitored for the next few days.”
- 1 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 2 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 3 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 4 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 5 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 6 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
- 9 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 10 'Dream come true': Excitement as new salon opens in Woodbridge
The stack is being allowed to burn while monitored.
A Suffolk police spokesman said: “Enquires are ongoing as to whether the fire was started deliberately.”
No one is reported to have been hurt in the fire. It is not thought to have damaged