Gridlock for five miles on the A12
- Credit: Archant
A two-vehicle collision is causing mass traffic along the A12 as part of the road remains blocked.
An earlier accident in Chelmsford is causing congestion on the A12 northbound from junction 17 at Howe Green and junction 18 at Danbury.
More than five miles of tailbacks are currently on the road, stretching from the town and back down the A-road.
Vehicles are at a standstill as they wait for services to clear the way.
According to the AA traffic map, the road from the Sandon roundabout back to junction 17 is now closed, as Essex Highways look to deal with the accident.
You may also want to watch:
Motorists on social media have expressed there anger at the huge delays.
Some claiming that traffic is queuing to get on the A12.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
The crash is also leading to severe delays of up to 11 minutes on the Essex Yeomanry Way heading northbound.
Vehicles here are crawling along at an average speed of just five mph.
A second accident also caused a similar blockage along at junction 19.
This has now cleared.