Christmas arrives in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
Hundreds descended on Bury St Edmunds last night for the town’s big Christmas lights switch-on.
The town centre was bustling as local hero Daniel Challenor pressed the button to turn on the festive illuminations.
Mr Challenor, front of house manager at Wagamama restaurant in the town, saved a customer's life on his first day at the job, giving life-saving CPR before medics arrived at the scene - and earning himself a Stars of Suffolk award.
A spokesman for OurBuryStEdmunds said this year's lights switch-on was a huge success.
"I don't have the official figure for the number of people who celebrated the lights switch on but the town centre was packed with people", she said.
"We had a fantastic stage show by the Suffolk police choir and the cast of the Theatre Royal's pantomime.
You may also want to watch:
"Everything went really well and the weather held out too. "From the time the crowds started gathering, just after 4pm, the weather was really good. "It was a bit chilly but more than you can hope for at this time of year.
"The lights switch-on is really well supported by the people of Bury St Edmunds and marks the start of the Christmas shopping season in style."
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
Next week the town hosts the famous Bury St Edmunds Christmas Market, starting on Thursday afternoon and running until Sunday. Thousands are expected to visit the market town, taking in the Christmas lights, browsing the many and varied stalls and enjoying street performers, funfair rides and delicacies.