Impressive barges bring out the crowds
GALLERY Impressive barges from as far away as Kent came to the region during the weekend for a race in glorious English summer weather.
IMPRESSIVE barges from as far away as Kent came to the region during the weekend for a race in glorious English summer weather.
The spectacular fleet could be seen on the River Orwell and further out to sea at Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex as they took part in the challenge on Saturday.
The race, organised by Pin Mill Sailing Club, saw 18 barges competing and another two following the event, which continued back up the River Orwell to finish off at Pin Mill.
Julian Ackland, match secretary, said: “This is the 47th race and the turnout saw many coming from as far a field as London, Kent and Maldon. I want to thank everybody involved for their support.”
You may also want to watch:
After the match the club held a reception for the skippers and crew followed by a prize giving.
Next year's event will take place on July 12, which organisers hope will prove even more popular.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology