Inquest of Geoffrey Caton, 57, who was stabbed to death in Bury St Edmunds, is opened and adjourned
- Credit: Archant
An inquest looking into the death of 57-year-old Geoffrey Caton who was found stabbed to death at his home in Bury St Edmunds has been opened and adjourned.
The inquest heard Mr Caton’s body was discovered at his home in Cumberland Avenue on Thursday, July 20.
He had been stabbed a total of 65 times.
Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean said a port-mortem examination had revealed the cause of death was a result of ‘hypovolemic shock as a result of multiple stab wounds’.
He told the hearing the majority of the stab wounds were to Mr Caton’s chest and that he had also suffered further ‘assault injuries’ to his head, body and arms.
Dr Dean said these included defensive injuries.
Mourad Belarbi, 43, of Lake Avenue, Bury, has been charged with his murder.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 7 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
A preliminary trial date has been set for January 15 next year at Ipswich Crown Court.
Dr Dean adjourned the inquest until December.
He said: “Our thoughts are very much with Mr Caton’s family.
“I wish to offer my thoughts and condolences to them.”