Family pay tribute to ‘lovable’ Stowmarket skateboarder who died of prescription drug overdose
- Credit: Archant
The mother of a popular skateboarder from Stowmarket who died after a drug overdose has described her son as a ‘lovable and bubbly man’.
Luke Jarvis, 25, of Poplar Hill, died on December 16, 2016, after a night out with friends in his home town.
An inquest on Monday heard Mr Jarvis had enjoyed a drink in The Oak Pub before going back to the home of a friend in Verneiule Avenue.
The inquest heard his friend had large quantities of prescription drugs at his home, as he suffered from osteoarthritis and was a recovering heroin addict, and that Mr Jarvis was a regular user of recreational drugs. Mr Jarvis was found unresponsive the following morning and despite the best efforts of paramedics, died at the scene.
A toxicology report revealed he had fatal doses of a prescription painkiller and a drug prescribed to help recovering addicts at the time of his death as well as traces of an anti-anxiety drug and cocaine.
You may also want to watch:
The inquest heard Mr Jarvis also had 251mg per 100ml of ethanol in his bloodstream.
Senior coroner Nigel Parsley said this amount of alcohol could cause someone to slip into a coma.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
The inquest heard Mr Jarvis was a talented skateboarder and had been signed by skateboard firm Moonshine the year before.
A hugely popular man in Stowmarket, more than 400 people attended his funeral.
During the inquest his mother Lyn McIntyre said her son was a man who couldn’t say no.
“He didn’t have the line most people have,” she said.
“He would just tip over it.
“Even though he was 25-years-old he was a bit of a man-child.
“He just didn’t know when enough was enough.”
His sister Kelly said: “He was so full-on and into everything. He would get paid on Friday and would be skint the very next day.”
Following Mr Jarvis’ death a police investigation was launched however the Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone.
Following the inquest, Mrs McIntyre said: “He was lovely, he was a mummy’s boy.
“Every person who met him, even for 20 minutes, they would remember him. He was a very lovable and bubbly man who would help anybody.”
Mr Parsley concluded Mr Jarvis’ death was drug related.