Intrepid walkers to trek 78 miles in aid of theatre
- Credit: Archant
The boots are on and training is already in progress for a group of intrepid walkers who are planning to cover 78 miles from London to Bury St Edmunds in a bid to raise funds for the town’s much-loved theatre.
The Stage to Stage trek, which is taking place from Friday to Sunday, March 28 to 30, begins at the Globe Theatre, in the capital, ending up at the Theatre Royal, in the west Suffolk town.
And supporters and friends of the Bury playhouse are being encouraged to take part in the final two legs of the trek; from Clare to Whepstead (11 miles) or Whepstead to the Theatre Royal (seven miles).
Throughout its 200-year history the theatre has relied on public goodwill and support and its target is to raise an ambitious £10,000 from the challenge - a distance of three marathons.
It has to fundraise at least £190,000 a year to help ensure the doors are open to welcome and entertain some 90,000 visitors and that it remains healthy and robust for the future.
You may also want to watch:
Those who are keen to take part need to commit to raising up to £50 each for either of the last two sections.
The theatre will arrange bus travel from Bury to Clare and Whepstead for Sunday walkers and there will be a celebratory party to welcome them all back home.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
The initiative is being sponsored by Bury Physio and anyone keen to support the walkers can obtain a form from the box office or download from www.theatreroyal.org or online at www.justgiving.com/Polly-Turner.
To become one of the final leg walkers call 01284 829942 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.