Investigation continues into Leiston body find
Detectives are today continuing to piece together the circumstances surrounding the death of a man whose body was discovered at his home in Leiston yesterday morning.
The man was described by police as “elderly” and is thought to have been the only occupant of the property in Grimsey Road.
Formal identification is still to take place on the body but police said the death was being treated as “unexplained”. They said the man’s next-of-kin had been informed and that a postmortem examination was due to take place today.
Officers were called to the scene at around 9.15am to reports that a body had been discovered inside the address.
The street, linking Sizewell Road and Seaward Avenue, was blocked in both directions to everyone but police and residents, with officers stationed at either junction and standing guard at an alleyway connecting to Sylvester Road.
Forensics officers continued investigations inside the end terrace at the centre of Grimsey Road throughout the day.
Some residents of Grimsey Road returned home later in the day to find their street a cordoned-off scene.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 5 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 6 Needham Market 0 Ipswich Town 7: Chaplin nets hat-trick
- 7 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 9 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 10 Man found guilty of sex assaults on schoolgirl
The cordon crossed the back of Deena and Scott Livingstone’s home. Mr Livingstone encountered the barrier when he returned home from walking the family dog. Mrs Livingstone said: “Our son phoned wondering if we were alright, then my daughter looked online and saw the news.
“When we left the house again at about 11am, the police asked us our names. The back of our house was cordoned off.
“We’ve lived here for 23 years and never seen anything like it. We live in a mid-terrace and our neighbours watch out for us.
“We didn’t hear anything during the night. The dog would have barked and woken us up.”
One resident, who wished to remain nameless, said he believed the body may have gone undiscovered for two days.
Last night a police spokesman said: “Officers were contacted at around 9.15am this morning to reports that the body of a man had been found at a house in Grimsey Road.
“Formal identification is yet to take place, but the deceased is believed to be the elderly occupant of the property.
“The death continues to be treated as unexplained and a Home Office postmortem examination is due to take place tomorrow.”
Police cordons around Grimsey Road were expected to be lifted yesterday evening, with a police scene remaining in place at the house overnight.