Investigations ongoing after body found in River Orwell
Investigations are continuing after police found a body in the River Orwell at the weekend.
The 22-year-old has yet to be formally identified but is thought to be from Ipswich and had been reported missing at the time police discovered him.
Investigations began when the man’s mobile phone was found on the towpath close to the town’s skatepark by a member of the public on February 4.
They contacted his family who conducted their own search before reporting him missing to police at 7pm that night.
Later that evening Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue scoured the waterfront and found a hat on the river bank.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s body was then located by Suffolk Police at approximately 7.30am on February 5 when the tide was out.
The death is being treated as an unexplained incident while police continue investigations.
- 1 Married Matt Hancock accused of affair after he is pictured kissing aide
- 2 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 5 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 6 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 7 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 8 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 9 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
Officers are asking anyone who was in the area of the skate park, Ipswich or the towpath between 10am and 12pm on Friday to come forward if they heard or saw anything suspicious or if they have any information which may help with this enquiry.
Calls should be made to Suffolk Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Do you know the man and would you like to pay tribute to him? Call the news team on 01473 324788.