Investment in seafront attractions at Felixstowe is welcomed as expansion granted
- Credit: Archant
Seaside attraction owner Stan Harris has been granted permission to expand his Ocean Boulevard site on Felixstowe seafront.
Mr Harris, of Ocean Amusements, owns and runs the rides, children’s activities and Western-themed train in the area alongside the prom in Sea Road. He currently has two kiosks selling refreshments and Suffolk Coastal councillors have now given consent for a third, a new free-standing souvenir kiosk.
Construction work will involve the removal of 15 metres of bushes and a 6m section of dwarf stone wall from along the edge of the promenade to allow customer access. Flood boards will be put in place outside the permitted trading hours – 10am to 10pm daily – and at high tides and during flood warnings.
Case officer Liz Beighton said the kiosk would complement the existing ones and sell beach goods, such as buckets and spades, and enable the site to extend its range of products.
She did not believe the removal of the section of wall – which borders the gardens and is not the flood barrier, which is the wall separating the open areas from the pavement and street in Sea Road – would have a large impact on the area.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Although the proposal would involve the removal of a short section of dwarf wall, this loss is not considered to be significant and its replacement with flood boards will protect the kiosk and the area behind in the event of flooding.”
Felixstowe Town Council had recommended approval for the project and welcomed the further investment in the seafront.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 8 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 9 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts