Ipswich: Athletics coach Stephen Benson guilty of 15 sex assaults on two teenagers.
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
TOP athletics coach Stephen Benson was today found guilty of 15 sex assaults on two teenagers, including five rapes.
The jury at Ipswich Crown Court brought back its verdicts at around 4.30pm after a day of deliberations.
However, it has still to come to a verdict on six other alleged rapes involving a third teenager.
Benson, who was a coach with Ipswich Harriers and also taught PE at Copleston High School in Ipswich, was convicted of 11 sex assaults on one woman, who was aged between 15 and 18 when the offences took place.
These included five rapes and six indecent assaults.
You may also want to watch:
The 50-year-old, of Pearson’s Way, Copdock, was also convicted of two counts of sexual activity with a child and two sex assaults on another teenager.
Benson had denied all 21 charges which were said to have taken place over a period of 20 years.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
He was released on bail until tomorrow, when the jury will resume its deliberations on the remaining offences.