Ipswich: Body found in the River Orwell
A dead body was found in the River Orwell this morning, Suffolk Police has revealed.
The deceased - believed to be a 22-year-old missing man - has yet to be formally identified but is thought to be from Ipswich.
Investigations began when the man’s mobile phone was discovered on the towpath close to the skatepark by a member of the public yesterday.
They contacted his family who conducted their own search before reporting him missing to police at 7pm last night.
Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue scoured the waterfront and found a hat on the river bank.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s body was then located by Suffolk Police at approximately 7.30am today when the tide was out.
The death is being treated as an unexplained incident while police continue investigations.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
Officers are asking anyone who was in the area of the skate park, Ipswich or the tow path between 10am and 12pm yesterday to come forward if they heard or saw anything suspicious or if they have any information which may help with this enquiry.
Calls should be made to Suffolk Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Do you know the man and would you like to pay tribute to him? Call the news team on 01473 324788.