Ipswich: Burglar who broke into neighbour’s flat is jailed
- Credit: PA
A BURGLAR who broke into his neighbour’s flat and cooked himself a meal has been jailed for 12 months.
The owner returned home to find that his front door was open, the letterbox was missing and the smoke alarm was going off.
He also noticed that food had been taken out of the fridge and the wrappers discarded, Ipswich Crown Court heard. He then found oil splashed around and realised that someone had been cooking, said Robert Sadd, prosecuting.
Wires had been pulled out of a PlayStation and a computer part worth £40 had been stolen.
Justin Battiste, 40, of Dandalan Close, Ipswich, admitted burglary on December 7.
You may also want to watch:
Battiste had initially denied the offence, saying he had been drinking and taking heroin and couldn’t remember much of the day in question.
Craig Marchant, for Battiste, said his client had suffered a bereavement and due to the alcohol and drugs he had consumed he may have thought he was going into his own flat.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich