Ipswich: Calls for signs at Bourne Park to warn drivers about illegal parking
- Credit: Archant
Calls were made today for clearer markings and signs to be placed on an entrance road to Bourne Park in Ipswich, to warn drivers it is illegal to park outside the site.
A flurry of parking tickets have been dished out over the summer holidays to motorists who have parked on a grass verge at the Wherstead Road entrance to the park.
Up to 20 cars fell foul of wardens during a family fun day at Bourne Park last month while another load of cars were also ticketed at the end of August.
People living near the area said they had seen tickets dished out throughout the summer holidays and car drivers have claimed there are no clear signs or markings, leading to confusion as to where they can and cannot park.
One of the drivers ticketed, health care assistant Liz Brame, of Grundisburgh, came to the park with a friend and children and parked near the verge.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It is not clear enough.
“The lines only go half way down and us, like probably everyone else who received a ticket, thought that the area was just a continuation of the car park area.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 10 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
“Clear signs should be erected to fully inform the public and stop this from happening.”
Officials at Ipswich Borough Council have stressed their parking wardens do not target any groups or visitors and the cars which were ticketed were parked on an access road illegally.
A spokeswoman for the council said: “The Highway Code states that waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge.
“Bourne Park has two car parks available for visitors, a small one at the Wherstead Road entrance and a much larger one at the Stoke Park Drive entrance.
“We are surprised that people are still contravening the parking restriction after the amount of publicity that has surrounded it recently.”
People who have received tickets have been told they have the right to appeal against the penalty.
What do you think? Should the signs be clearer? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org