‘This stupidity needs to stop’ - police hit out at ‘highly dangerous’ cyclists riding at speed through town centre
- Credit: Archant � 2008
Cyclists who ride through a town centre at speed are “highly dangerous” and need to be stopped, police have said.
Police in Ipswich made an appeal earlier this month to prevent potential accidents after hearing of a number of near misses between riders and pedestrians.
They urged people to stop and push their cycles through the town or at least slow down and give way to walkers.
But in a Tweet on the afternoon of Tuesday, September 25, officers for the Ipswich Central Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “People are still insistent on cycling through Ipswich Town Centre at speed - it’s highly dangerous.
“This stupidity needs to stop.”
Last month the government announced plans for new legislation, which would see cyclists who cause a pedestrian’s death in a collision treated in the same way as motorists who cause death by dangerous driving.
You may also want to watch:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have been involved in a near miss.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 8 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 9 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 10 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed