Ipswich: Clean-up follows departure of traveller camp
Borough officials have completed a clean-up of the Bramford Lane recreation ground after a group of travellers left during the early hours of yesterday morning.
The family had been camped there illegally since last week but their visit to the town was hit by tragedy when a 20-month-old toddler died following a collision with a vehicle on the site.
The travellers left the site after the coroner agreed to release the body of the young child for burial. They are now believed to have travelled to Ireland for the funeral.
The borough held off taking legal action until they were able to prepare for the burial.
A 37-year-old man has been questioned on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and is due to report back to police in Suffolk in October.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the council said that staff spent much of the morning clearing the unauthorised campsite and had been thanked by local residents.
An inquest into the death of the toddler is expected to be opened in Suffolk within the next few days.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 RACE NIGHT LIVE! Brilliant Witches win at Lynn in season opener
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 7 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 8 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 9 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 10 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
Meanwhile the borough has started legal action to move another group of travellers who have moved on to land near Sprites school.
The land is owned by the borough, although it is just over the town boundary and is in Babergh district.
The travellers there are not related to the group who camped at illegally at Bramford Lane and the borough is hoping they will be moving away by the weekend.