Death on train tracks in Essex blocks Greater Anglia main line
- Credit: Archant
A person has died after being struck by a train in Essex, blocking the Greater Anglia main line.
The British Transport Police reported that someone was on the tracks close to Chelmsford station at 2.20pm today (Tuesday, August 27).
A spokesman said: "Officers were called to Chelmsford station following a report of a casualty on the tracks.
"Paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service also attended, however a person has sadly been pronounced dead at the scene.
Officers are now working to identify the person and inform their family. This incident is not currently being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."
You may also want to watch:
Greater Anglia are telling passengers that no trains will travel between Shenfield and Colchester while the incident is ongoing.
This means that passengers travelling south from Ipswich will only get as far as Colchester before having to make alternative travel arrangements.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 10 Long queues at Primark from 7am in Ipswich as lockdown eases
A statement on the Greater Anglia Journeycheck website said: "Due to a person being hit by a train between Shenfield and Witham all lines are blocked.
"Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised.
"Disruption is expected until 9pm. Do not travel between Shenfield and Colchester."