Ipswich: Commuters voice anger over delays caused by man on roof at station
- Credit: Archant
Angry commuters voiced their frustration on Friday night after having their travel plans scuppered when a man climbed on to the roof of Ipswich train station.
Routes in and out of Ipswich were cancelled as power to the train line was shut off for safety reasons.
Chris Horrex, 21, of Ipswich, arrived at the station at 9am hoping to get a train to Saxmundham.
At one point, he was told he would need to get a bus to Stowmarket, then a train to Norwich and one to Lowestoft before he could head to the town.
“I’m really annoyed,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“You can’t put it into words. It is rare, you wouldn’t expect this to happen in a million years, especially in Ipswich.”
Father-of-two Andy Culley, from Norwich, said the closure meant he risked not seeing his children, aged six and nine, this weekend.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
Travelling back from Doncaster, where he was working, he needed to get to Harwich to pick up his children, who live with their mum.
He said: “This could cost me a huge amount. My kids could be left thinking daddy didn’t bother to turn up this weekend.
“The guy probably had a really valid reason for getting up there, but this has impacted on thousands of people.”